Name: University of Nevada, Reno & Foundations
Assets Under Management: $194.7 Million (Source: University of Nevada, Reno & Foundations on 6/30/2013)
Annual Report: University of Nevada, Reno Foundation June 30, 2013
Portfolio Insights: “The University of Nevada, Reno Foundation is a nonprofit corporation whose mission is to facilitate the solicitation and management of gift revenues and endowments on behalf of the University of Nevada (“University”). The Foundation was established by the Nevada System of Higher Education (“NSHE”), which is the sole owner of the Foundation. Additionally, the appointment to the Foundation Board of Trustees is the responsibility of the NSHE. As such, the Foundation is considered to be a component of both the University and NSHE. Transactions with the University relate primarily to the disbursement of gift funds to the University and receipt of support from the University to fund administrative expenses of the Foundation.” (Source)
Our team, the Endowment Fund Association (EFA) and Endowments.com is the #1 community and most visited website dedicated to endowment fund professionals. We provide endowment funds with buy-side co-investment and direct investment deal origination services, outsourced chief investment officer selection help, and also provide Endowment 500 research and Endowment Database Solutions.
Top University of Nevada, Reno & Foundations Endowment Fund Headlines:
1) The University of Nevada, Reno Foundation’s endowment returned a +19.6 percent in FY 11, compared to the S & P 500 for the same time period of +30.69 percent, the MSCI All Country World ex-U.S. Equity Index of +29.13 percent, and the Barclay’s Bond Aggregate of +3.9 percent. The Foundation Endowment also distributed $2.7 million to support the University in FY 11. The Foundation invested $5.99 million in new gift investments into the endowment. The net result was that the Foundation endowment increased in value by +18 percent from $93 million in June 30, 2010 to $110 million in June 30, 2011. (Source)
2) The UNR Foundation has nearly $110 million in its endowment. In 2011 the endowment has provided more than $2.7 million to help finance vital activities including undergraduate student scholarships, professorships and chairs, graduate fellowships, library acquisitions, academic programs, building maintenance and research. In 2011, the Foundation invested 23.8% of its assets in real estate and marketable alternative investments, which include equity-oriented or market-neutral hedge funds. (Source)
3) The University of Nevada, Reno Foundation endowment funds are responsibly managed by the investment committee of the foundation, a volunteer committee with expertise in financial management, which receives independent professional investment advice from Wilshire Associates. (Source)
4) The University of Nevada, Reno’s journalism school has received a $3.17 million endowment to fund a faculty chair and a scholarship. The bequest by Paul and Gwen Leonard was fulfilled by their daughter, the Rev. Jackie Leonard. During their lifetimes, the couple supported UNR and its journalism school.
The endowment will fund the Paul A. Leonard Chair for Ethics and Writing in Journalism, and the Paul A. and Gwen F. Leonard Memorial Scholarship. “Good journalism schools cannot neglect teaching writing and ethics if they are to graduate good journalists,” Jackie Leonard said.
Jannet Vreeland, UNR’s vice provost and the school’s interim dean, said the gift will help in recruiting a new journalism dean. Cole Campbell, the former dean, was killed in a January traffic accident in Reno. (Source)
5) The University of Nevada, Reno seeks an experienced and highly motivated professional for the position of Assistant Dean for Collections and Knowledge Access Services. Reporting to the Dean, University Libraries and Teaching and Learning Technologies, the position serves as a member of the Libraries’ executive team and plays a leadership role in helping the libraries meet the challenges of changing modes of scholarly communication. (Source)