Name: UA Foundation’s Financial Services Office
Assets Under Management: $665.4 Million (Source: University of Arizona & Foundation on 6/30/2014)
Annual Report: 2014 Annual Report / Endowment Report
Portfolio Insights: “The University of Arizona was established in 1885 with a $25,000 state appropriation and 40 acres of privately donated land – a public-private partnership that essentially laid the foundation of the institution. At that time, Tucsonans were skeptical of the benefits of a university. They expressed their dismay over Phoenix having been given public funding for an asylum, which they thought would be a more successful economic driver. Today, those early concerns have been assuaged. The University of Arizona has proven itself a true economic engine, returning $6.70 for every dollar of state funding, creating a $2.3 billion gain for the Tucson community, and generating tens of thousands of jobs. As with any great institution, the UA has continually evolved to reach this point of excellence, benefiting our students, our faculty and our communities. Just as we have done throughout our history, we depend on that public-private partnership that lies at our core to keep our engine humming.” (Source)
Our team, the Endowment Fund Association (EFA) and Endowments.com is the #1 community and most visited website dedicated to endowment fund professionals. We provide endowment funds with buy-side co-investment and direct investment deal origination services, outsourced chief investment officer selection help, and also provide Endowment 500 research and Endowment Database Solutions.
Top University of Arizona & Foundation Endowment Fund Headlines:
1) Jan 28, 2011 – The University of Arizona Foundation has assumed management and stewardship of the University of Arizona endowment, increasing the consolidated endowment pool under the Foundation’s supervision to more than a half-billion dollars.
The UA’s endowment, valued at $165 million, is a permanent pool of money established to benefit the University in perpetuity. The endowment’s principal is invested and a payout from the endowment is made each year to support the account purpose, including a number of UA initiatives and priorities such as research, scholarships, and the retention of top faculty. The Foundation also holds an endowment that benefits the UA with assets totaling more than $350 million. (Source)
2) The University of Arizona and the University of Arizona Foundation have adopted model endowment agreements for this purpose. This signed agreement ensures (a) the donor clearly understands the policies by which their gift will be managed and (b) the institution clearly understands how the payout is to be used and any other unique terms and conditions of the gift. Since permanent endowments continue in perpetuity, it is very important that the University maintain in all permanent records, a clear understanding of any donor’s restrictions. (Source)
3) Mike Hall, president and founder of Take Charge America, Inc.® (TCA), formerly Credit Counselors of America, Inc.® (CCOA), is pleased to announce the company has established an endowment fund at the University of Arizona Foundation for the Take Charge America Institute for Consumer Financial Education and Research. This fund will receive up to $10 million in financial support from TCA over the next 10 years. The Institute will be a part of the Southwest Retail Center for Education and Research in the School of Family and Consumer Sciences and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences with the goal of becoming one of the nation’s leading centers in personal financial education and research. (Source)
4) May 16, 2008 – The University of Arizona Foundation invests donations into its endowment fund and makes the payouts on behalf of the university. The $2.5 million gift brings the Brown Family Foundation’s total donations to the UA to $6.5 million this fiscal year, which ends June 30. In October, the foundation donated $4 million to endow two faculty chairs: one in the College of Engineering and one in the Eller College of Management. Each college received a $2 million gift to establish its endowment. (Source)
5) Incorporated in 1958, The University of Arizona Foundation is one of the largest foundations in Arizona. They work to advance The University of Arizona by building relationships, securing philanthropic support and stewarding assets. Since its incorporation, The University of Arizona Foundation has raised more than $2 billion in private funding for the University. This demonstration of private sector confidence helps to develop competitive excellence across numerous fields of study. (Source)