Name: Southwestern University
Assets Under Management: $383.2 Million (Source: Southwestern University on 6/30/2013)
Annual Report: Southwestern University June 30, 2013 and 2012
Portfolio Insights: Southwestern University (the “University”), located in Georgetown, Texas, is the oldest chartered institution of higher learning in the state. It traces its roots to the 1840 founding of Rutersville College in the Republic of Texas near La Grange. A nationally recognized, independent, undergraduate liberal arts college affiliated with the United Methodist Church, the University has an enrollment of 1,346 students and a current student-to-faculty ratio of 10.4:1. Students choose from 38 major programs in the University’s two academic areas, The Brown College of Arts and Sciences and the Sarofim School of Fine Arts.
The revenues generated by the University consist prim arily of tuition and fees paid by students. Many students rely on funds received from federal financial aid programs under Title IV of the Federal Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA), as amended, to pay for a substantial portion of their tuition. (Source)
Our team, the Endowment Fund Association (EFA) and Endowments.com is the #1 community and most visited website dedicated to endowment fund professionals. We provide endowment funds with buy-side co-investment and direct investment deal origination services, outsourced chief investment officer selection help, and also provide Endowment 500 research and Endowment Database Solutions.
Top Southwestern University Endowment Fund Headlines:
1) Southwestern University is committed to sustainability through a formal policy and plan and through components of the master and strategic plans. One committee and several faculty members work to implement environmental initiatives on campus. The university has a formal green purchasing policy, regularly purchases Energy Star appliances and some environmentally friendly paper products, and trains custodians in the use of green cleaning products. (Source)
2) Apr 23, 2012 – The $241 million endowment at Southwestern University “is one of the highest endowments per student in the nation.” As an employer, Southwestern University has offered part-time employment opportunities in the past. (Source)
3) Southwestern University is a selective, undergraduate institution committed to a broad-based liberal arts, sciences, and fine arts education. Southwestern currently enrolls approximately 1,250 students and maintains a student to faculty ratio of 10 to 1. The University’s endowment ranks among the highest per student of undergraduate institutions in the country. In addition to a number of other national organizations, Southwestern University is a member of two consortia of liberal arts colleges, the Associated Colleges of the South and the Annapolis Group. Located in Georgetown, Texas, 28 miles north of downtown Austin, Southwestern is affiliated with The United Methodist Church. Southwestern University is committed to fostering a diverse educational environment and encourages applications from members of groups traditionally under-represented in academia. (Source)
4) Southwestern University is one of the best undergraduate colleges in the country according to a new ranking of America’s Top Colleges published by Forbes magazine. The Forbes ranking looks at colleges the way a consumer might look at them, with an emphasis on factors such as teaching quality, four-year graduation rate, success after graduation, and the amount of debt that students graduate with. (Source)
5) Edward B. Burger began his presidency of Southwestern University in July 2013. Prior to being elected president of Southwestern, he was the Francis Christopher Oakley Third Century Professor of Mathematics at Williams College and a nationally known leader in educational innovation.
A native of New York, President Burger graduated summa cum laude with distinction in mathematics from Connecticut College and earned a Ph.D. in mathematics from The University of Texas at Austin. He served on the faculty at Williams College from 1990 until he was named president of Southwestern.
President Burger was one of 100 people named to The Huffington Post’s list of “Game Changers” in 2010, and received from Baylor University the Robert Foster Cherry Award for Great Teaching, one of the most prestigious teaching awards in the world. (Source)