Name: Southern Methodist University (SMU)
Assets Under Management: $1.3 Billion (Source: Southern Methodist University on 6/30/2014)
Annual Report: SMU 2013-14 Annual Report
Portfolio Insights: SMU continued to take remarkable strides forward in 2013–14, the fourth year of the University’s centennial commemoration period. The Board of Trustees voted to raise The Second Century Campaign goal to $1 billion in response to exceeding the original $750 million goal more than two years ahead of schedule. SMU’s progress was marked by the extraordinary quality and accomplishments of both faculty and students, including those of SMU’s athletic teams whose success attracted a national spotlight. And the University added or enhanced major facilities that will provide opportunities for learning and personal growth for students today and in the future. (Source)
Our team, the Endowment Fund Association (EFA) and Endowments.com is the #1 community and most visited website dedicated to endowment fund professionals. We provide endowment funds with buy-side co-investment and direct investment deal origination services, outsourced chief investment officer selection help, and also provide Endowment 500 research and Endowment Database Solutions.
Top Southern Methodist University Endowment Fund (SMU) Headlines:
1) Southern Methodist University is a private institution that was founded in 1911. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 6,357, its setting is urban, and the campus size is 231 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. Southern Methodist University’s ranking in the 2015 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 58. Its tuition and fees are $45,940 (2014-15).
Despite its name, this private university in Dallas is a secular institution when it comes to classes. The school was founded by what became the United Methodist Church in 1911, but it is now home to students of many religious affiliations. Outdoor activities are plentiful in Dallas, a city that boasts an average of 232 days of sunshine a year. Students can check out the Dallas International Film Festival, which draws 40,000 viewers annually, or explore the more than 400 parks in the city. Students are required to live on campus for their first two years at SMU. The campus is also home to the George W. Bush Presidential Center, which comprises a Bush administration museum, library and public policy institute, and frequently hosts speakers. (Source)
2) Southern Methodist University is experiencing a dynamic period of advancement and institution building. With $1.4 billion in endowment and completion of several significant construction projects, the University is poised to advance significantly its strategic focus: enhancing the academic quality and competitiveness of the University. The Chief Investment Officer will play an integral role in this initiative.
SMU is a private, coeducational Doctoral/Research Extensive (RII) institution. The University’s architecture speaks with a single vocabulary. Flowers and oak shaded lawns and walkways add to the beauty of the campus. The main campus consists of 80 neo-Georgian buildings on a 200-acre site located in residential University Park, a city surrounded by Dallas, the 9th largest city in the U.S. and 4th in rank for Fortune 500 companies. The University also has campuses in Plano, Texas (SMU-in-Legacy) and in New Mexico (SMU-in-Taos). SMU’s student enrollment is approximately 11,000, of whom 40% are graduate students. (Source)
3) Southern Methodist University (SMU) is a private university educating students to have an impact on their communities, professions and the world. Students enjoy small classes, research opportunities, leadership development, study abroad programs and service – learning. SMU is strengthened by its part nership with the Dallas region — a global center of innovation, commerce and culture. (Source)
4) Apr 6, 2008 – Southern Methodist University has announced a gift of more than $10 million from alumnus Roy M. Huffington to endow the Department of Geological Sciences in Dedman College. The most recent gift, which raises Huffington’s total giving to SMU to $31 million, will create the Huffington Bicentennial Endowment Fund. The renamed Roy M. Huffington Department of Earth Sciences will offer degrees in geology, geophysics, environmental geology, environmental science, and a new interdisciplinary degree program in environmental studies. Graduate programs include master’s degrees in geology, geophysics, and applied geophysics as well as doctoral degrees in geology and geophysics. (Source)
5) SMU manages the endowment investment with the goal of preserving and increasing these essential resources, which are helping provide a financial foundation for the University’s second century of achievement. It took 80 years for SMU’s endowment to reach $500 million. Reaching that milestone enabled the endowment to double in size to over $1 billion in only 10 years. An endowment gift not only invests for the future, but it works for SMU today. (Source)