Name: SDSU Endowment Investment
Assets Under Management: $154.7 Million (Source: San Diego State University on 6/30/2014)
Portfolio Insights: “SDSU Research Foundation invests in the TCF Endowment Pool, a unitized pool managed by TCF, another SDSU auxiliary organization. The $17,530,791 and $15,436,134 a mounts shown above reflect the market value of SDSU Research Foundation’s share of the TCF Endowment Pool as of June 30, 2014 and 2013, respectively.
The TCF Endowment Pool has significant investments in various mutual funds and third-party investment pools, with primary investment categories of stocks (57% and 56%); fixed income (23% and 21%); and alternative investments, real estate and cash equivalents (20% and 23%) as of June 30, 2014 and 2013, respectively.” (Source)
Our team, the Endowment Fund Association (EFA) and Endowments.com is the #1 community and most visited website dedicated to endowment fund professionals. We provide endowment funds with buy-side co-investment and direct investment deal origination services, outsourced chief investment officer selection help, and also provide Endowment 500 research and Endowment Database Solutions.
Top San Diego State University Endowment Fund Headlines:
1) Dr. Elliot Hirshman serves as president of San Diego State University – a major public research university that addresses real-world challenges. Its 35,000 students pursue research and learning under the guidance of internationally recognized mentors in innovative on-campus labs, entrepreneurship centers and business incubators. SDSU is characterized by the Carnegie Foundation as a research university with high research activity and also is designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution.
Dr. Hirshman is committed to student success and to ensuring that students from all backgrounds achieve academic excellence. SDSU is a top producer of Fulbright awardees and a leader in the number of students who study abroad. It is among the nation’s leaders in ethnic and economic diversity. President Hirshman leads an institution recognized for the largest increase in graduation rates in the U.S. and one that is among the nation’s leaders for graduating students of color. (Source)
2) San Diego State University has even more to be thankful for this holiday season — alumnus Jack McGrory has donated $1.2 million to The Campaign for SDSU, bringing the campaign to $435 million of its $500 million goal.
“This gift will build Jack McGrory’s unique legacy at San Diego State,” said SDSU President Elliot Hirshman. “As an alumnus, faculty member, Campanile Foundation board member and passionate supporter of public administration, student veterans and classics and humanities, Jack has made extraordinary contributions to our campus. We are extremely grateful for his continuing support.”
The gift is the second significant contribution to the campaign by McGrory, who earned his master’s degree in public administration from SDSU in 1976. (Source)
3) The President’s Leadership Fund (PLF) was established in October 2002 to provide San Diego State University with the flexible resources to respond quickly to strategic opportunities, pursue innovation and reward excellence.
Establishing the President’s Leadership Fund Awards for Faculty and Staff Excellence was a natural evolution of the PLF’s work to encourage and reward excellence. In its first eight years, the PLF has invested upwards of $4 million in more than 160 new or existing initiatives. (Source)
4) The Campanile Foundation assumed the responsibility for the San Diego State University Endowment on July 1, 2000. The Campanile Foundation created a consolidated endowment pool on that date to provide a vehicle through which donors can provide permanent funding for schools, colleges and programs of their choice. The Endowment Pool consists of more than 700 separate endowment accounts and is similar to a mutual fund in that each individual endowment buys units into the fund. The Board of Directors of the Campanile Foundation has delegated the management of the Endowment Pool to the Finance & Investment Committee. A formal Investment Policy Statement provides the operating guidelines, consistent with the fiduciary obligations of the not-for-profit organizations under federal and state laws, CSU policies, and the Uniform Prudent Management of Institutional Funds Act (UPMIFA), for the management of the endowment investments. (Source)
5) President and CEO of the Campanile Foundation, and vice president for University Relations and Development, says, “Building private support, particularly our endowment, provides a strong underpinning for the future and will assist SDSU in achieving its vision as a top 10 urban research university, one that is engaged locally for global impact.”
The foundation has played a key role in helping SDSU raise more than $765 million since its inception. Gifts from corporations, foundations and individuals fuel new and existing initiatives, benefiting students and global communities—thus creating a synergistic cycle. (Source)