Name: Millsaps College
Assets Under Management: $166.2 Million (Source: Millsaps College on 6/30/2013)
Portfolio Insights: “Millsaps College is a private, nonprofit liberal arts college based in Jackson, Mississippi. The College provides education and training services for students at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Investment securities are exposed to several risks, such as changes in interest rates, market fluctuations, and credit risks. Due to the risks associated with certain investment securities, it is at least reasonably possible that changes in the values of investment securities will occur in the near term and such changes could materially affect the amounts reported in College’s consolidated financial statements.” (Source)
Our team, the Endowment Fund Association (EFA) and Endowments.com is the #1 community and most visited website dedicated to endowment fund professionals. We provide endowment funds with buy-side co-investment and direct investment deal origination services, outsourced chief investment officer selection help, and also provide Endowment 500 research and Endowment Database Solutions.
Top Millsaps College Endowment Fund Headlines:
1) Millsaps College has received an anonymous $1 million endowment gift from the parents of a Class of 2012 graduate.
“This gift is evidence that we are actually changing the lives of our students each day,” said Dr. Robert W. Pearigen, president of Millsaps. “The gift was made by parents in honor of the professors and mentors who have changed their child’s life forever and in appreciation of the inspiring experiences that mark a Millsaps education.” (Source)
2) Jul 5, 2013 – Millsaps College recently welcomed Brad Ewing as a major gifts officer. Most recently Ewing was corporate director of marketing at JBHM Education Group. He previously worked as a business process analyst for The Harbour Group. Prior to joining The Harbour Group, he spent nearly 20 years in professional sports. This part of his career included 10 years with the NBA’s Houston Rockets and several seasons in minor league hockey, most notably as general manager of the Jackson Bandits. (Source)
3) Millsaps College with a productive endowment of nearly $500,000 and buildings and grounds worth $280,000, it rests on a foundation which assures its perpetuity. It has the support of a great religious denomination, yet it is not sectarian in its policy. It numbers among its patrons, representatives of all the Christian churches.
Since 1912 Millsaps College has been a member of the Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, a distinction enjoyed by only one other institution in this State. An impartial committee of the Association made exhaustive inquiry into the financial resources of the Institution, its courses, the training of its instructors, and the character of its work, and unanimously recommended it for membership. (Source)
4) Millsaps College in Jackson, Mississippi, has been awarded a $265,000 grant by the William R. Kenan, Jr. Charitable Trust to provide scholarship support and research opportunities for students who graduate from Jackson Public Schools (JPS) and go on to attend Millsaps.
Over the next four years, grant funds will provide two Millsaps students per year with a summer research stipend of $4,000 for a pre-college or between-term experience with Millsaps faculty. An annual scholarship of $7,000 will also be provided, for a total of $32,000 in support over four years.
Millsaps will recruit JPS students, including those in the Base Pair program at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC), which provides high school students with the opportunity to participate in biomedical research and improve scientific literacy. (Source)
5) Since 1972, Millsaps College has offered to the Greater Jackson community a variety of opportunities through the Community Enrichment Series.. These are noncredit courses which have no prerequisites and no examinations and cover a variety of special interest areas. (Source)