Name: Carnegie Mellon University
Assets Under Management: $1.8 Billion (Source: Carnegie Mellon University on 6/30/2013)
Portfolio Insights: “It is my pleasure to present the audited financial statements of Carnegie Mellon University for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2013 and to share with you several noteworthy university and financial performance highlights.
I joined Carnegie Mellon as the Vice President for Finance and Chief Financial Officer on July 1, 2013 and was immediately impressed and encouraged by the accomplishments and solid financial results of fiscal year 2013. The university experienced continued growth in the number of applications for undergraduate programs and our dedicated faculty won impressive support for major research projects amid the most competitive environment for research funding in recent memory. The university experienced a smooth transition in leadership as Dr. Jared L. Cohon completed sixteen years of progress, achievement, and evolution at Carnegie Mellon and Dr. Subra Suresh became the university’s ninth president on July 1, 2013.” (Source)
Our team, the Endowment Fund Association (EFA) and Endowments.com is the #1 community and most visited website dedicated to endowment fund professionals. We provide endowment funds with buy-side co-investment and direct investment deal origination services, outsourced chief investment officer selection help, and also provide Endowment 500 research and Endowment Database Solutions.
Top Carnegie Mellon University Endowment Fund Headlines:
1) The endowment which manages USD 1 billion for the Carnegie Mellon University has announced plans to reach its target allocation of 15% by adding around five new managers to its portfolio. It is particularly interested in multi-strategy, macro and credit hedge funds for the move. The typical bite size for its hedge fund investments range between USD 3-10 million but it will commit further capital if an attractive investment opportunity were to arise. It currently has 13.9% of its assets invested in hedge funds. (Source)
2) Carnegie Mellon’s Green Practices Committee is working on a variety of initiatives and recently expanded the student eco-reps program and established Green Teams in departments to encourage employees to reduce their environmental impact. The university is committed to sustainability through a formal mission statement and a component of the campus master plan. (Source)
3) “Carnegie Mellon University’s endowment portfolio is managed with a long-term, growth-oriented objective. Using a combination of academic theory, quantitative analysis and informed market judgment, the university allocates the portfolio according to a long-term strategic plan, which is overseen by the Board of Trustees.” (Source)
4) The endowment of Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, hired Julius Baer Investment Management for a non-U.S. bond portfolio of undisclosed size. According to the 1996 edition of Money Market Directories, Carnegie-Mellon has about a $405 million endowment. (Source)
5) Founded in 1900 under the name “Carnegie Technical Schools.” Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh has evolved into a multi-disciplined university with strengths in scientific research, the arts, and humanities. (Source)