Name: Baylor College of Medicine
Assets Under Management: $1.82 Billion (Source: Baylor College of Medicine on 6/30/2012)
Annual Report: Baylor College of Medicine Financial Statements 2012
Portfolio Insights: “Baylor College of Medicine (the “College” or “Baylor”) is one of the leading health science universities and biomedical research institutions in the United States. Founded in 1900, Baylor owns and operates educational, research, and patient care facilities. The College is an institution comprised of four separate colleges including a medical school, a graduate biomedical sciences school, an allied health school and a school of tropical medicine. Baylor trains more than 3,000 medical, graduate, nurse anesthesia, and physician assistant students, as well as residents and post-doctoral fellows each year. The College is also among the nation’s leading biomedical research institutions and consistently ranks among the top of the country’s 137 medical schools. The College’s investments in marketable equity and fixed income securities are recorded at fair value. Non-marketable securities are securities for which no public market exists; substantially all of these securities are accounted for under the equity method, which approximates fair value.” (Source)
Our team, the Endowment Fund Association (EFA) and Endowments.com is the #1 community and most visited website dedicated to endowment fund professionals. We provide endowment funds with buy-side co-investment and direct investment deal origination services, outsourced chief investment officer selection help, and also provide Endowment 500 research and Endowment Database Solutions.
Top Baylor College of Medicine Endowment Fund Headlines:
1) Baylor College of Medicine (the “College”) is one of the leading medical schools and biomedical research institutions in the United States. The College is a Texas non-profit corporation exempt from federal income taxation under Section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (the “Code”), by reason of being an organization described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Code. The College is located in the Texas Medical Center, a 700 acre complex of 47 independent institutions, in Houston, Texas, and is the only private medical school in the Southwestern United States. (Source)
2) Baylor College of Medicine will become part of a national network of scientist and physicians helping expand a government program focused on diagnosing patients who suffer from rare and often unheard of diseases. The medical school was one of six universities around the country receiving a $7.3 million grant from the National Institutes of Health, becoming a clinical site for its Undiagnosed Disease Network, officials last week. The project is designed to work with patients who have been at a loss -often for years – trying determine the causes behind their bewildering medical symptoms. Since 2008, National Institutes of health researchers have been operating a pilot program that evaluated hundreds of patients from all over the world, diagnosing nearly a quarter of them. (Source)
3) Baylor College of Medicine is ranked among the top 25 medical schools for research in the country and is the only private medical school in the Southwest. Baylor College of Medicine receives more than $400 million in total research support. The bulk of the research support, $344 million, is funded from federal sources, making BCM among the top U.S. medical schools receiving federal funding.
Founded in 1900, Baylor College of Medicine has grown into a medical institution widely respected for excellence in education, research and patient care. The patient care services of Baylor College of Medicine extend to 20 institutions in Houston. (Source)
4) Baylor College of Medicine is committed to being a national leader in advancing human health through the integration of patient care, research, education and community service. (Source)
5) Baylor College of Medicine seeks to recruit an exceptional leader for the role of Chair of Medicine. This individual will be recognized as a visionary leader with credibility for achieving high standards in patient care, education, and research. With the new Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center joint venture, the opening of its state-of-the-art McNair campus, the additional affiliations with nationally ranked teaching partners such as the Michael DeBakey VA, Ben Taub Hospital, and Texas Children’s Hospital, and a robust basic research arm that includes the #1 ranked Genetics Department in the US, this is an unparalleled opportunity to set a new national standard of excellence in Medicine. (Source)